Monday, December 30, 2013

Books Read in 2013

For the past few years (2012, 2011, 2010, 2009) I've had a goal to read and review a bunch of books over the course of each year.

My goal has been to average a book per week and end up with 50 books read and reviewed at the end of the year. If I included the short grade school or picture books that I sometimes read with my kids (or even just on my own for fun), I'd easily hit the 50 mark...but I usually just count the books that I actually review here on my blog. I've come a bit short of 50 each year. And yet, I don't consider it a failure in the least. The fact that I feel like I continue to get more and more wonderful books read each year tells me that the goal is a success.

So I'm modifying the goal for 2013. I'm still going to have a number to shoot for but the main goal is that I get through some of the many many books waiting on my bookshelves to be read (my "to be read" pile is huge). My goal will be to read and review at least as many books as I did in 2012...which means at least 45 books. But my goal also expands to include a few more aspects: 1) Read at least 8 "classic" novels, 2) Read more books in genres I don't normally read (such as mystery, romance, poetry).

If you have any suggestions for books to read or ways I can make my reading goal more exciting, please let me know.

And now, without further ado, here's the list of books I've read so far in 2013:
(I will be updating this post each time a new book is read/reviewed)
  1. The Madman's Daughter
  2. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
  3. Ender's Game
  4. Beastly
  5. The Measure of the Magic
  6. Head Games (Locke & Key: Volume 2)
  7. Seventh Son: Tales of Alvin Maker (Book 1)
  8. Dead Men Kill
  9. Mom Rules
  10. NOS4A2 (Did Not Finish)
  11. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: The Magical Car
  12. The Colossus Rises - Seven Wonders Book 1
  13. The Magic Circle: A Novel
  14. Cleopatra's Moon
  15. How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare
  16. Passion Blue
  17. The House of the Seven Gables
  18. Utopia
  19. The Man Who Knew Too Much
  20. Power Play (Kingdom Keepers Book IV)
  21. The Bone Season
  22. A Study in Silks
  23. The Call of the Wild
  24. Asylum
  25. The Prince and the Pauper
  26. The Eye of Minds
  27. Don Quixote
  28. The Girl with a Clock for a Heart
  29. Poe
  30. Death Cloud
  31. A Study in Scarlet
  32. The Sign of Four

And for additional reference, here's a link to my "to be read" list over at Goodreads. This list includes purchased books on my bookshelves (but not read) as well as tons of books that have been recommended to me over the years. As you can see, the list is huge...and never really shrinks since there are always new recommendations coming in. So tell me...what good books have you read lately that I should add to my list? Any that I "MUST" get to ~immediately? :-)

2 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice...very cool goal and i like that you have selected a few categories like classics as well...that def gives good balance...

Spike said...

Hello.
My name is Spike Pedersen. I am the author of an adventure book, At First Light. I have followed your reviews on your blog and you're an interesting guy. I would be honored if you applied your opinion to my book. I would be willing to supply you with a free ecopy or paperback in exchange for a review. my email is rocketwriter@sbcglobal.net. Please let me know.
Thanks!
Spike