Friday, December 31, 2010

Books Read in 2010

Here's my running list of books read in 2010. Last year I made it to 43. This year I'm shooting to at least match my reading list from last year, but I'd rather surpass it.

  1. The Hunger Games
  2. Sea of Monsters
  3. Great Work Great Career
  4. Archenemy
  5. The Drug of the New Millennium
  6. The Sorrows of Young Werther
  7. The Hourglass Door
  8. A Tale of Two Cities
  9. The Maze of Bones (The 39 Clues Book 1)
  10. Right Ho Jeeves
  11. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
  12. Soulless
  13. A Monstrous Regiment of Women
  14. Catching Fire
  15. The Four Loves
  16. Magic Kingdom For Sale | Sold!
  17. One False Note (The 39 Clues Book 2)
  18. The Black Unicorn
  19. The Titan's Curse
  20. The Great Divorce
  21. The Amulet of Samarkand (The Bartimeus Trilogy Book 1)
  22. The Sword Thief (The 39 Clues Book 3)
  23. To Kill a Mockingbird
  24. Beyond the Grave (The 39 Clues, Book # 4)
  25. The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson
  26. Those Extraordinary Twins
  27. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  28. Mockingjay
  29. The Holy Man
  30. The Search for Delicious
  31. The Battle of the Labyrinth
  32. Chains
  33. Foucault's Pendulum
  34. The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch
  35. A Charmed Life: Growing Up In Macbeth's Castle
  36. Dracula
  37. The Turn of the Screw
  38. Fablehaven
  39. The Dain Curse
  40. The Lord of the Flies
  41. The Maze Runner
  42. The War of the Worlds
  43. The Last Olympian
  44. The Graveyard Book


Here's my "to read" list as it stands now...though I often just grab books as they appeal to me. If you have some suggestions, let me know.

Happy Reading.


11 comments:

DEZMOND said...

oh, a book per week, quite nice number :) I wish I had time to read more, but since I work as a book translator I have time only to read the books I'm working on :(

Okie said...

Yeah, a book a week was/is the goal...but I'm at about 50% success rate (now that we're ~halfway through the year, I should be in the mid 20s instead of 13). I certainly don't read all the times I 'should', but I still love the time I dedicate to reading.

Being a book translator must put some interesting books across your path that might not otherwise come your way. Though there are likely plenty that you'd rather not have to get through as well.

DEZMOND said...

back at college while studying English lg and literature, I had to read at least two or three books per week, which was kinda shocking rhythm.

Well, yes, but I mostly translate books which are at least in the genre I like. Off course, there are always situations when you ask yourself - WHY AM I TRANSLATING THIS RUBBISH :) but you can never know whether a book is horrible or not before you start translating it.

j.m. neeb said...

Okie - I can't view your list, but if you haven't read any Colson Whitehead novels, I'd strongly recommend checking them out. His first one, The Intuitionist, is simply incredible and I'm just wrapping up Sag Harbor.

Whitehead has a fantastic narrative, solid characters and top notch humor. IMO, one of the greatest writers out there right now.

As a thought, I had also read Whitehead's Apex (Hides the Hurt), but consider that to be nowhere near as good as those other two.

Okie said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to take a look at Whitehead.

Anissa said...

Great choices! Now you are in the same boat as the rest of us...waiting for Mockingjay. :)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

wow,
bravo,
you read so many books.
what creative mind!

Anonymous said...

Nice to see some classics here...or are they like the Monty Python 'Bookshop' skit?

Okie said...

You found me out Don...Tale of Two Cities was actually the edition written by Charles Dikkins, that's Dikkins with 2 Ks, the well-known Dutch author. ;)


Actually, apart from Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, all of the classics are the original versions.

Farnnay said...

omgggggggggshhhhhhhhhhh im so jealous. =/

Unknown said...

Wow you read so many! I'm so ashamed to say I read waaaay less than that. I was hoping to read so much more this year, but time just keeps running away from me. Since you're interested in The Hunger Games series and Lord of the Flies you might be interested in reading Battle Royale. The Hunger Games is very much like it but unlike The Hunger Games, Battle Royale is much more gory and violent (super interesting though).