Sunday, December 27, 2009

Review - The Scopes Trial (A Brief History with Documents)

I remember vague references to the Scopes Trial from High School classes and various discussions on the evolution debate. This book is a great compilation of the data in and surrounding that case. I really enjoyed the introduction and commentary by the author that helped orient some of the texts and discussions. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the transcripts from the courtroom proceedings. And I also appreciated and enjoyed the supplemental material at the back (related essays, political cartoons, etc.). Overall, this book provides some great insights into the evolution debate (many of the same arguments continue almost verbatim today) as well as into many of the problems with our education system.


3.5 out of 5 stars


View all my reviews




No comments: