Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The 50 book challenge

OK...so a site I'm a member of recently issued a "50 book challenge" in response to a comment from Steve Jobs. Apparently, Steve Jobs was commenting on Amazon's Kindle project. He said he felt the project was flawed because the top percentage of Americans don't even read a single book in a year. The percentage is that only ~40% of Americans read one or more books in a year.

Anyway, the site I was on said they want to thumb their noses at Steve & other statisticians by showing a group of people who read 50 books in a year or more. True...this group will come from the lower 40%, but I wonder if we can get enough publicity out there to get non-readers to pick up a book this year and try to boost the 40% and get it at least over the halfway mark.

Anyway, I'll update this post as I finish books throughout the year. I'll make this a mid-year new year's resolution with a goal to finish 50 by December 31. Even though I read nightly with the kids, I'll leave those books off unless we read a larger scale book...because I don't want to taint the list with too many Seuss, Berenstein Bears or other kids books. :)

If you'd like to participate, either include a link in the comments or go ahead and post books you've read. Let's see how many we can collectively finish in 2008.

Books I've read in 2008:
  1. Grimm's Fairy Tales
  2. The Candy Shop War
  3. The Garden In Which I Walk
  4. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland
  5. Alice's Adventures Through The Looking Glass
  6. The Looking Glass Wars
  7. The Jungle Books
  8. Charlie & The Chocolate Factory
  9. Peter Pan (Peter & Wendy)
  10. Dark Wraith of Shannara
  11. The Eyre Affair
  12. From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
  13. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
  14. Hide and Seek
  15. The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe
  16. The Great Book of Amber: The Complete Amber Chronicles, 1-10 (Chronicles of Amber)
  17. The Pale Blue Eye
  18. The Catcher in the Rye
  19. Speak



UPDATE: - September 16th and now I have 19 read...31 to go in ~3 months. 10 books a month. No prob. ;)

No comments: