Friday, April 25, 2008

Taking strategy guides one step farther

OK, so I was stoked for Assassin's Creed since they first announced it ~2+ years ago....I waited in angst as the release date was pushed back and back. I picked it up finally and have loved every minute I've been able to play. I'm still only about halfway through the game but I'm enjoying it. I can see where critics are coming from calling the game repetitive...it is repetitive in some points, but still varied enough that even the repetition is enjoyable.

Anyway, I'm on UBI's mailing list about the game and I got a link recently to their "HELP" site.

I purchased the official strategy guide early on but haven't cracked it yet (other than to oggle the oversized map). I bought it because of the deluxe art book that came with it. But that's another story. I generally only pickup strategy guides for the swag that comes with them. A year after finishing up Prince of Persia, I picked up the strategy guide (at a nice discount) for the cool poster. I did the same with the second Prince of Persia...but in reverse, I bought the strat guide months before the game, solely for the poster.

Generally, when I actually turn to walkthroughs is when I am legitimately stumped and have been for some time, or when I am in "completionist" mode and just don't have the time for full exploration. With Assassin's Creed, I plan to pull out the strat guide when it comes time to find the hundreds of flags over the world in order to get my achievements.

Well, this site that UBI sent me won't help with the flags, but it is a cool idea. I've seen video walkthroughs for games on YouTube for a while. But this is the first time I've ever seen a company actually create and host an intricate set of video walkthroughs for their game. That's not to say it hasn't been done, just that I haven't seen it.

Check out the link. It's a pretty cool idea and laid out very nicely.

If I wasn't so much into accessing the story on my own and immersing myself in the world, I'd hop over and watch the vids. I've watched a couple of the assassinations I've already completed.

It's a cool concept, but I'll be bummed if the paper strat guides actually go away...I'll miss out on my cool swag. ;)

No comments: