Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Utah's Board Game Convention - A Gathering of Strangers

Alright all fellow Board Game fans, and even non-fans...the Utah "Gathering of Strangers" will be happening July 25-26 and I want you there with me.

This is the convention's third year. I've attended the previous two and they've been a ball. This year, the event has been officially extended to cover two days (last year there were some pre- and post-convention events that various participants sponsored on their own...but this year there will actually be official convention gaming on Friday and Saturday).

It takes place at the University of Utah and will include gaming from all sorts of genres. More "casual" gamers may be a little overwhelmed and confused by the selection. It's not likely that you'll find "Monopoly" or "Life" gaming going on (though I did hear rumors of an "Axis and Allies" session, which more people may be familiar with). Rather, you'll find yourself introduced to games that you can't necessarily pick up at Target or WalMart. Some of the more familiar names include Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, and Ticket to Ride.

Don't let new games scare you away. The crowd is friendly and always wiling to teach and help new players as they learn new games.

I am hoping to host some sessions of Tikal, Carcassone, and Puerto Rico among others. If you see a game on my list that you'd like me to bring and teach you to play, let me know.

I'd love to see you all there.

No comments: