Check out this cool video on the "future of publishing." I've seen similar poems/videos before. Aside from the creative style, this has a cool message I felt like sharing. Enjoy.
I like this! I am one of those who is avoiding kindle because I like the smell and feel of books and paper and leather in my hands... God Save the Published Word! :)
I agree. I much prefer a "real" book to a digital one. I've tried ebooks on my PC, on my iPod, on a friend's Sony reader and on another friend's Kindle. Of the different readers out there, Kindle is the one I preferred, but I still can't bring myself to make the jump. I'm told that the iPad books look great as well.
I do have to concede one slight advantage to the digital format....one that I recently encountered...that of traveling. I went on a business training last week and I took 7 books with me...two in my carry-on and 5 more in a bag I checked. It certainly would have been MUCH more convenient (and less 'back-breaking') to have had a single device to carry.
However, once I got down to the activity of reading, I would have certainly missed the actual book in my hands and the physicality of turning the pages.
Fortunately, I don't travel a lot so I don't see this as a major dilemma for me. The bigger downside would be that when I do travel, I'm not sure (until I actually pack the bags) what book(s) I want to take with me. As a result, I wouldn't likely have eBook versions of the titles I want to read...and would be forced to purchase them AGAIN if I wanted to take them with me. Unless it was a book I absolutely love, I doubt I'd be willing to make the investment. And since most of my travel reads (and actually many/most of my general reads) are books I haven't read before, I certainly wouldn't want to pay for the book twice without any idea of whether I actually like it or not.
So yeah, I'm an ink-and-paper reader and plan to stay that way as long as I can. Fahrenheit 451 was a scary prospect for me...but going to an entirely digital book world is equally scary.
I like this! I am one of those who is avoiding kindle because I like the smell and feel of books and paper and leather in my hands... God Save the Published Word! :)
ReplyDeleteI agree. I much prefer a "real" book to a digital one. I've tried ebooks on my PC, on my iPod, on a friend's Sony reader and on another friend's Kindle. Of the different readers out there, Kindle is the one I preferred, but I still can't bring myself to make the jump. I'm told that the iPad books look great as well.
ReplyDeleteI do have to concede one slight advantage to the digital format....one that I recently encountered...that of traveling. I went on a business training last week and I took 7 books with me...two in my carry-on and 5 more in a bag I checked. It certainly would have been MUCH more convenient (and less 'back-breaking') to have had a single device to carry.
However, once I got down to the activity of reading, I would have certainly missed the actual book in my hands and the physicality of turning the pages.
Fortunately, I don't travel a lot so I don't see this as a major dilemma for me. The bigger downside would be that when I do travel, I'm not sure (until I actually pack the bags) what book(s) I want to take with me. As a result, I wouldn't likely have eBook versions of the titles I want to read...and would be forced to purchase them AGAIN if I wanted to take them with me. Unless it was a book I absolutely love, I doubt I'd be willing to make the investment. And since most of my travel reads (and actually many/most of my general reads) are books I haven't read before, I certainly wouldn't want to pay for the book twice without any idea of whether I actually like it or not.
So yeah, I'm an ink-and-paper reader and plan to stay that way as long as I can. Fahrenheit 451 was a scary prospect for me...but going to an entirely digital book world is equally scary.