Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Writing Time

For those who have been frequenting the blog for a while or who know me in real life, you may know/remember that about a year ago I started in on a goal to write and finish a "book."

The actual progress of that "progressive story" was very sporadic and often filled with rambling and plain awful writing. Thanks partly to a writing contest last fall, I buckled down and actually finished the story I was writing. It's far from a "publishable" state, but I was still very excited to have actually finished it. I keep intending to go back and do some harsh editing of it to clean it up, tighten it up and get it ready for mass consumption. Sadly, my lack of love for the editing/revising process has kept me from doing that.

Sadder still, I have not been doing any regular writing for many months. Lynette and I were talking last night and I was reminded of a comment I hear and read again and again anytime I look into the art of writing. That thought is this: "If you want to be a writer, there is only one requirement. You must write."

I have been failing at that requirement lately. Partially due to a mess of stuff going on all around me and partially due to disorganized priorities. Over the past couple of weeks, I've been doing some serious reevaluating of my priorities and seen just how far out of whack they are. I'm working on getting a truer balance to my life. One of the elements I plan on bringing back is a dedicated writing time at least a few times each week and hopefully daily. I may or may not do another episodic story here on the blog, but I do plan on sharing some of my writing up here.

In any case, feel free to bug me from time to time and see how my writing is going.

I figure if I get back into the writing habit, not only can I start pumping out some new and fun stuff and get my creative juices flowing again...but I might get the motivation to spend some time doing some editing/revising on the story I finished last fall.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Good luck! Can't wait to read some of it.